Financial Aid

The role of the financial aid office at Bastyr University is to assist students in obtaining the funding they need to reach their educational goals.

Bastyr University participates in the full range of state and federal student financial aid programs. Student eligibility is determined following the state and federal regulations that apply to each particular aid program.

Graduate students primarily rely on federal educational loan programs, including Federal Direct unsubsidized Stafford and Graduate PLUS loans. Employment opportunities are provided by the federal and state work-study programs.

Additional support is provided by scholarship programs administered by Bastyr University from both endowed funds and University resources.

Undergraduate students are eligible to apply for Pell grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity grants, Perkin loans and subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans. Washington state residents may be eligible for a Washington State Need Grant. Parents of dependent undergraduates may apply for the Parent Plus loan. Undergraduates may also receive work-study funds and scholarships, if eligible.

Private loan programs also provide a supplemental source of funding for all students. These loans require a positive credit history and/or a co-signer with good credit.

All international students are eligible for University-funded scholarships and grants as well as on-campus employment from University funds.

Financial Aid Deadlines:

There are no formal University deadlines. However, undergraduate students are encouraged to apply by April 1 in order to receive consideration for several external grant programs with early deadlines. All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid at least 90 days before the first quarter of attendance.

Detailed information on application procedures, program costs, and financial aid funding are published annually in the Bastyr University Financial Aid Handbook. The Bastyr University Financial Aid Handbook and financial aid application are located on the Bastyr website and the MyBU student portal.

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid

Federal student aid regulations mandate that students who wish to be considered for financial aid must be making satisfactory progress in a degree or certificate program. This requirement applies to the entire period of enrollment at Bastyr University, even though students may not have received financial aid for some periods of enrollment. Satisfactory academic progress is currently reviewed at the end of each spring quarter. It is also students’ responsibility to monitor their own progress.

All students must meet the published academic standards for their individual programs. Students placed on suspension or limited suspension are not eligible for financial aid.

Undergraduate students awarded a State Need Grant must complete at least 50 percent of the credits for which they received funding for that quarter. Failure to complete the required number of credits each quarter will result in cancellation of subsequent disbursements. Satisfactory academic progress is monitored at the end of each quarter for this program.

See the student portal (MyBU) under Financial Aid menu option for the complete satisfactory academic progress policy for financial aid eligibility.

Required Return of Federal Financial Aid

The University is required to return federal Title VI funds when a student fully withdraws during the first 60 percent of any quarter. Please see the student portal (MyBU) under financial aid for the complete policy.

Required Return of State Financial Aid

The University is required to return state financial aid when a student fully withdraws during the first half of any quarter. Please see the student portal (MyBU) under financial aid for the complete policy.

Gainful Employment Compliance

As of July 1, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education requires institutions who participate in the student financial assistance programs under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, to report certain information about students enrolled in their Title IV eligible programs that lead to gainful employment in a recognized occupation. At this time, the regulations only apply to the certificate programs in Chinese Herbal Medicine and Holistic Landscape Design. The following links to our website will provide that information:

Certificate in Chinese Herbal Medicine

Certificate in Holistic Landscape Design